Tuesday, April 12, 2016

A Mother's Last Lesson


It is past midnight on the ward. The silence is punctuated by the occasional beeping of infusion pumps and the soft sobbing of relatives. I have just signed the death certificate of an elderly lady.

I offer my condolences to her eldest son and walk away. As I fiddle with paperwork at the nearby counter, I hear the youngest son's voice, cracked and hoarse from crying.

"I can't believe she's gone."

"I know." The eldest brother's voice, also hoarse. "She's at peace now."

"I-- I should have spent more time with her--"

"She loved you. She didn't blame you. Ever."

"She was my whole world. I just liked to pretend she wasn't--"

"She knew. Always."

The younger brother lowers his head and sobs silently into his arm. I try to focus on signing tags. A few seconds pass. I hear the younger son's voice again.

"I...I don't know how to go on."

"We must."

"Easy for you to say. How do I-- how do I live-- " His voice cracks.

"Because we are her sons. And that is how she raised us." The eldest son straightened up. "If she didn't teach us to be strong enough to live without her - she would have failed as a mother."

The eldest son reaches out and squeezes his brother's arm gently.

"Yes. Okay." The younger son wipes his eyes.

I gather up my paperwork and leave the counter. As I walk away, I hear the younger brother's voice one last time.

"Thank you, brother."

"Thank her." The eldest son's voice sounded steely now. "For making us strong."

5 comments:

Dr Wannabe said...

this was beautiful AM. thanks for posting.

Willis said...

English Grammar Checking Software is an innovative technology that promises to improve and edit your English writing with one goal: transforming your writing correct, professional and rich. Is that possible? See more best grammar check software

Health at homes said...

Thanks for Sharing Your Valuable Information and It is Very Useful for me and also Useful for Who wants More Information about Doctors at Home

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing! Very informative.

For such more post visit www.medikabazaar.in/blog

Lunaida said...

Get to know the system that makes it possible to play in a professional manner and have sbobet ถอนเงินไม่ได้ information that can be used immediately.